Cooking a whole chicken is one of the TASTIEST + THRIFTIEST meals you can make! Have you ever done it?
I started baking whole chickens for dinner back in my couponing days! I’d grab one on sale, bake it for dinner. Pull the leftover chicken for chicken salad or chicken pie & then throw the leftover bones in a crockpot to make chicken broth. It is truly, a great way to spread your grocery budget a little bit further while eating healthy, delicious food!
While I normally BAKE my whole chickens I am obsessed with my air fryer so wanted to try it this way and it did not disappoint!! Here’s how to do it:
- Start with the smallest chicken you can find (normally a 3 lb bird) based on the size of your air fryer you want it to fit comfortably in there, with plenty of room for air to circulate all the way around.
- Enough olive oil to coat the bird inside and out. 2-3 tbsp should be plenty!
- 2-3 tbsp of your favorite seasonings. I’ve used Italian seasoning, poultry seasoning and a blend of thyme, onion & celery salt – you can’t really go wrong so use what you have! Rub this in on top of the olive oil.
- 1 fresh lemon. Roll it around before you cut it then squeeze the juice onto the bird and stuff it up the.. well, you know – opening. 😝
- Make sure giblets are removed first!
- Tie the legs together if you have twine, if not no worries
- Place the chicken breast-side down into the air fryer basket. Turn the air fryer on to 350°F.
- Cook for 30 minutes, flip the chicken over and cook for 25-30 minutes or until an instant read thermometer reaches 165°F.
- Remove from the air fryer and rest 10 minutes before cutting.
That’s it! I loooove my air fryer so much that I’m shopping for a bigger one. If you have a big one that you love please let me know! 😻
More recipes and tips!
Comment below ‘free group’ to join my free keto & low carb group!